Subject: Re: Thoughts on Lighting
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 04:47:48 -0500

In a message dated 96-01-17 11:49:02 EST, you write:

>{snip}
>> >was the last time you tried your hand at a B&W scene in Lightwave?  I had
>a
>> >real epiphany with my lighting when a client requested a series of B&W
>> >animations, a task made simple by LW's camera panel.  When I had nothing
>but
>{snip}
>> Good point! Like in B&W photos, you need a good "skeleton", as my art
>teacher
>> 
>> used to say. It definately improves composition of a scene.
>
>What does the term skeleton refer to here?  The lighted area of the
>object?

It refers to the overall composition of a B&W photo or in this case a frame
or
scene, which includes light and shadow, camera angle, subject (or object)
postioning etc. After looking at some of my color photos, this wise man
suggested 
I shoot a few hundred ;-) rolls of B&W to "get the basics down" first. I
found it much more difficult
getting something aesthetically pleasing doing B&W (just working with a
"skeleton")
as he put it. It was a long time ago...this thread just rang that bell. I
don't want to 
start a "merits of B&W vs. Color photography" thing...  but I think I'll
probably try 
something in B&W in LW now that I'm thinking about it just for the fun of it.